Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Are we the 99 percent? Are we the 1 percent? Who cares?

The other day I raged out on Twitter about seeing the same arguments over and over about self-publishing and traditional publishing.  Both sides grip their arguments tight to their chests, unwilling to let go of their side, unwilling to even loosen their hold.

I think this mentality actually ties into the world's view right now.  Or at least the view of the country.  With all that's raging on and on about the "99 percent" and the "1 percent," that mentality has begun to bleed into many other aspects of life.  And I think self-publishers believe they're the 99 percent.

And so they protest.

They yell and scream and push and prod trying to get people to believe that this is the new way.  The only way it will work.  Self-publishing will soon shut down the EVIL PUBLISHERS, everyone will sell millions of copies, and everyone will be happy bestselling writers.

Meanwhile, with this new assault, a lot of traditionally published people have taken to the streets warning everyone about the dangers of self-publishing.  You won't get exposure.  You won't sell millions of copies.  You'll have a crappy cover.  Life will be horribly awful for you and you'll never win.
Traditional publishing the is only way to go.

Tastes great.

Less filling.

Shut up.

Seriously, everyone shut up.  Take a deep breath.  Take a step back and shut up.  Look at what you're doing.

This is not an either or.  There are pros and cons to both.

You can do both.

You can sell millions self-published, but still have the support and help that a traditional publisher brings.

Find what works for you, and exploit that.

But don't try to convert everyone.  I'm okay with you if you're a Self-Publisher.

I like that you're traditionally published.

Neither of you are failures in my eyes.

Come on now.

Group hug.

Just stop speaking in absolutes.  The world works in many ways.  And there are more than 50 Shades of Grey in life.

Ugh, after that joke... I'm bailing out of this post.

4 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

The middle of the road is the surest place to get run over.

But yeah I tune out the Amazon is the great liberator/Amazon is de debbil debate. Gives me more time to write.

John McFetridge said...

"Just stop speaking in absolutes."

Good advice. For so many discussions.

Dana King said...

I guess I'm in the 100%: self-pugged two e-books, and recently received a contract for a physical book. My thought is, I don't care. I'll do what seems to make sense to me, on a case-by-case basis. The industry is too great a state of flux to make hard, long-term plans.

As for the parties on either side who are Right, proclaiming the other side Wrong: either shut up or go argue about religion. Someplace where I can't hear you.

Steve Weddle said...

Easier to identify with the tribe